Silverthorn Wines produces an exciting range of top end, Méthode Cap Classique (MCC) wines, which have undergone a natural, secondary fermentation in the bottle.
World-class MCC - Made with passion
Wines from Silverthorn
Silverthorn Wines available from Newton Wines (please call or email)
The Green Man
Half human, half nature, the Green Man is an ancient mythical figure representing the spirit of the forest, the continuous regeneration of life and the interdependence of all things. He has appeared throughout the ages from as far afield as ancient Babylon, India, Borneo and Nepal, to abbeys and cathedrals all over Europe. He manifests in many forms, most commonly as a semi-human, foliate head, representing the fusion of man and nature. In his modern guise, The Green Man has appeared under a new name – Ecology. It is this spirit, as well as the delicate green hue of Silverthorn’s Chardonnay Cap Classique, that inspired winemaker John Loubser to break with traditional name ‘Blanc de Blancs’ and personify the wine with the name The Green Man.
- Colour/appearance: Vibrant green/yellow hue – fine twirling bead of bubbles.
- Nose: Fresh aromas of green apple and acacia blossom backed up by subtle hints of minerality and whiffs of freshly baked brioche.
- Palate: Well balanced with an elegant structure, fine mousse which imparts a gentle explosion of bubbles on the palate and a long finish.
Richly entwined in Arabian folklore, Genies are best described as free-willed spirits formed from smokeless fire. Capable of using their power to create either magic or mischief, Genies were popularised in the Tales of One Thousand and One Nights. Traditionally, Rosé Champagne is made from two red varieties, namely Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier. With Silverthorn The Genie we broke the rules. Embracing the free-willed spirit of the Genie, we opted for something far more daring and exotic, and used Shiraz, an ancient grape variety, originating from Persia. We’re delighted to reveal that the results have been pure magic!
- Colour/appearance: Bright onion skin – fine twirling bead of bubbles.
- Nose: Exotic bouquet of Turkish delight and rose water.
- Palate: Fresh raspberries and sherbet flavours supported by a velvety texture, fine mousse and lengthy finish.
SUGGESTED FOOD PAIRINGS Salmon gravadlax on crisp rye toast – Parma ham and red figs – Strawberries macerated with black pepperGrapes: 100% Shiraz Alcohol: 11.9%
Contact Newton Wines
Call Newton Wines if you'd like to stock wines from our vineyards.
You’ll need to contact our stockists (list above) if you’re after a particular wine in your area, but if you’re not near any stockists, give us a call and we’ll do our best to help you.